Report of the The Nashville Episcopal Area Strategy Mapping TeamPosted: January 14, 2014
During the past year, a Nashville Episcopal Area Strategy Mapping Team has been meeting (with members from both the Memphis and Tennessee Annual Conferences) to discern a mission and vision for the area, as well as our core values and primary areas of focus. After many long hours of conversation and prayer, the team believes that God is leading us toward the mission, values and focus described below.
This is a work in progress. The next step is to share this with leaders throughout the area to receive their feedback, allowing us to refine our mission, values, and focus, and then to discover the next steps in reaching a shared agreement about how God is already at work in the Nashville Episcopal Area, and where God is calling us to grow in more effectively being a part of God’s mission in the world.
I encourage you to be in a spirit of prayer and discernment as we work together to carry out God’s call here in the Nashville Episcopal Area.
The mission of the Tennessee Conference and the Memphis Conference is to discover, equip, connect and send lay and clergy leaders who shape congregations that offer Jesus Christ to a hurting world, one neighborhood at a time.
In obedience to God’s leading, we will serve with:
- Unrelenting love for all people
- We will fulfill our baptismal call to love God and neighbor.
- We live out unconditional love in our glad acceptance of all God’s people by upholding on another’s dignity and sacred worth.
- We will describe honestly what we see with grace and compassion.
- We will be authentic and transparent.
- We will be accountable to each other.
- We will build trust with each other in courageous and risk taking ways.
- We will strive for missional, pastoral, and congregational excellence.
- Faithfulness and Fruitfulness
- We will discern all ministries through prayer.
- We will establish relationships in neighborhoods and engage in meaningful witness.
- We will measure our actions and decisions by their connection to our mission.
- We will change whatever we need to within our structure and ourselves, holding nothing sacred but the mission.
- We will begin new faith communities.
- We will seek revival in the neighborhoods through the sharing of Word and Deed.
Four Focus Areas
- Invest in Young People
- Engage the Mission Field
- Create transforming lay and clergy leaders
- Grow Fruitful and Faithful Churches